Saturday, May 7, 2011

First Birthday Party: Racecar Theme

We were invited to Joshua Hoffman’s 1st birthday party, which was a “Gone in 60 seconds” theme.  I decided to make a themed gift for him, a Car Memory Game.

Here’s how I did it: I bought a pack of cardboard cars at a yard sale ($2 for 8), you could just use wooden squares.  Then I traced the cars on various pieces of scrapbook paper and cut them out.  I needed one of the sides to be the same and the other side to have matching pairs.  Then I applied a thin layer of Mod Podge to the car and attached the scrapbook paper.  Let the one side dry before gluing the back.  I decided to Mod Podge on top of the scrapbook paper to give it a finished look, but you don’t have to do that.

Josh Hoff Bday - 01Josh Hoff Bday - 02Josh Hoff Bday - 03

I thought these cute cars needed a storage bag, so I made one out of this super cute fabric I bought last year and hadn’t used yet :)

Josh Hoff Bday - 04Josh Hoff Bday - 05Josh Hoff Bday - 06

Here’s the card I came up with:

Josh Hoff Bday - 07

Luke gave me a Silhouette sd for a surprise gift a couple of months ago.  The machine is a craft cutter that will cut various shapes/letters/whatever.  It can also sketch with a pen, which is how I wrote the saying on the birthday card.  I offered my help in making the decorations for the party, so here’s what I did. 

Josh Hoff Bday - 08

A sign for the drink table (forgot to get the whole “picture”)

Josh Hoff Bday - 09

Here’s his month by month photo progression:

Josh Hoff Bday - 10

These cars were hanging from the light above the food table, which was called “Pit Stop” and had a cute banner, but I guess I forgot to take a picture of that :)

Josh Hoff Bday - 11

Here are some random pics from the party….including Calvin’s first taste of hot dogs!

Josh Hoff Bday - 12Josh Hoff Bday - 13

The birthday boy in his racecar shirt!

Josh Hoff Bday - 14Josh Hoff Bday - 15Josh Hoff Bday - 16Josh Hoff Bday - 17Josh Hoff Bday - 18

Calvin giving Joshua his birthday hugs…

Josh Hoff Bday - 19Josh Hoff Bday - 20

Ok that’s enough.

Josh Hoff Bday - 21

So Calvin moved on to hugging Evie :)

Josh Hoff Bday - 22Josh Hoff Bday - 23

Let me in!

Josh Hoff Bday - 24Josh Hoff Bday - 25

Amy made this super cute racetrack cake she saw at Family Fun.

Josh Hoff Bday - 26Josh Hoff Bday - 27Josh Hoff Bday - 28Josh Hoff Bday - 29Josh Hoff Bday - 30

The birthday boy didn’t seem to care too much about his Car Memory Game gift, especially when there were real cars to play with :)

Josh Hoff Bday - 31

Happy Birthday Joshua, we had a fun time celebrating with you!

No comments: