Thursday, November 3, 2011

Trick-or-Treat!

Brace yourselves folks, this year our family was as cute as can be for Halloween :)

It was a fun-filled day!  First we headed to Luke’s work to enter in the costume contest they were having (results next week).  As you can see we decided to go with characters from Disney’s Up!  Calvin was Russell and Luke was Carl Frederickson…you’ll see later in the post what I was :)

Halloween 01Halloween 02

After showing our little Wilderness Explorer around to Luke’s co-workers, Russell Calvin and I headed to MOPs.  We had a little party in honor of Halloween and I won the door prize!  I’m not sure if I should be ashamed of this, but they figured out who won by asking who had been to Chick-Fil-A the most times in October.  Well, I said we went about 7 times, which is most likely true :)  It was free breakfast Tuesdays this month and I know we went a couple other times too…so yeah, I don’t know if I should brag about that one!

Anyway, the prize was a cute little CFA cow and some coupons, so of course we went there for a free lunch!

Halloween 03

Calvin was sporting his cute “Daddy’s little Monster” shirt from MaMaw while he was giving his Russell costume some rest!

Halloween 04Halloween 05

Then we went home for naps and such.  Around 6 we got back into costume.  As you can see, Calvin was a cutie pie!  Luke’s costume was pretty awesome too!  A big thanks to Auntie Katie for the idea!

Halloween 07Halloween 08Halloween 09Halloween 10Halloween 11Halloween 12Halloween 13

Ok, ok, you’re probably wondering what in the world is Stephanie??  Well I wanted to go along with the theme too, but I didn’t want to be Carl’s wifey that died at the beginning of the movie…so I went as Kevin the Snipe!  If you haven’t seen Up, Kevin is a girl :)

Here’s what we were going for:

UP1UP2

I thought we did pretty good overall :)

Here are some more pics of Calvin’s costume.

Halloween 14Halloween 15Halloween 16Halloween 17Halloween 18Halloween 19Halloween 20Halloween 21

After our photo shoot we headed to a Trunk-or-Treat at a nearby church.  Calvin just kept walking around wondering why he would go up to strangers and take candy from them.  Everything seems so wrong with that, but he had a blast!

Halloween 22Halloween 23Halloween 24Halloween 25Halloween 26Halloween 27

Next we trick-or-treated on our street.  It was Calvin’s first attempt at this b/c last year we hosted a party with our home groupies and didn’t go trick-or-treat.

Halloween 28Halloween 29

Then we spilled all the candy out when we got home.

 

For any of you who want to make Up costumes some time, here’s a breakdown of what I did:

  • I found the Wilderness Explorer badges online here and the logo here.  Then I printed them onto fabric paper, ironed that onto fusible paper, then cut everything out and ironed it onto a fabric sash and flag that I made.
  • I just sewed a rectangle out of orange fabric for the “bandana”. 
  • I couldn’t find a yellow hat small enough for Calvin (that wasn’t like $12), so I just painted one of the cheap hats at Hobby Lobby, that’s why it’s not the best shade :)
  • I made Luke’s bow tie following this tutorial and sizing it up slightly for a man. 
  • Luke’s glasses are the 3D ones you get at the movies with the lenses removed.
  • I found Luke’s wig on Amazon, the closest I could find was a Colonel Sanders Wig!
  • I found Calvin’s yellow polo, Luke’s coat and pants, and my colorful shirt at Goodwill.  The rest of the clothes are just our stuff. 
  • I tied random stuff onto Calvin’s backpack like a tambourine, blanket and pampered chef steaming pot (b/c it was plastic and light!)
  • And LaLa can attest to me hand drawing the little house and coloring it…I mean Calvin did all of that :)
  • Lastly, we picked up some balloons from Party City that morning and luckily they lasted all day!

We had such a fun time dressing up, and Calvin loved wearing his costume!  I was worried about that b/c he never wanted to try anything on, but once he saw Luke and me dressed up, he was all about it!

We hope y’all had a Happy Halloween!  Now onto listening to Christmas music :)

1 comment:

Tammy Gregg said...

Great costumes. Very creative.