Monday, October 13, 2008

Uncle Sam saving me money

Interesting article:

AP: Airlines could save $10 billion a year with GPS

My favorite part is the story about "an FAA initiative called STARS, which was launched a decade ago to give controllers advanced, multicolored radar screens. The project missed deadlines, went hundreds of millions of dollars over budget and had to be scaled down."

My $150 Garmin that I use for work has whiz bang GPS technology and a fancy color screen. I understand this is an oversimplification and not a fair comparison, but can we really as a country waste that much money putting color screens and GPS into commision for our airline system?

The next time you fly, you'll now know why you don't get a pillow and they want to charge you for checking luggage, eating peanuts, and drinking a coke.

No comments: